Vacations are hard to come by these days, especially if you don’t get paid time off from work. In some industries, paid time off (PTO) is almost unheard of, so make sure you enjoy your vacation to the fullest when you can. If you’re in a job where you don’t get paid time off, you’re getting a raw deal. I recommend you learn about PTO and the benefits of it, and then find yourself a better job! Life is too short not to get paid for time off – we all need a break sometimes! Here are five ways to get the most out of your vacation!
1. PUT THE CAMERA DOWN! Okay, I may sound like a hypocrite but I don’t mean skip pictures altogether. Take a few pictures and then enjoy the moment. Having pictures is wonderful because you can go back and relive your vacation but not every moment needs to be captured. Also, putting the camera down will help you engage with your travel companions. Of course, we all want to share our vacation with those that follow us on Instagram, but sometimes it’s better to live in the moment and actually enjoy the vacation. We can always upload these pictures when we get back from our vacation. However, for now, just enjoy your vacation and worry about social media later!
2. RELAX! Take some time to sit in a cafe and watch the city pass you by. Some of my favorite moments have been sitting at a sidewalk cafe and people watching. Just because there’s a lot to see in a city doesn’t mean you have to see it all. Relax and observe the locals, the tourists, and the location.
3. THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND! In America, we’re very cautious about almost everything. From adventure trips to simply making sure our swimming pools are in line with the pool barrier safety compliance rules – we’ve got it all sorted. In other countries, some activities may seem dangerous but they’re allowed. So, when you head off on your adventure, you should have fun as long as you stay safe!
4. GO WITH THE FLOW! Don’t micro-manage your vacation. Some people are planners, like me, and others like to wing it once they arrive. So, if you can’t wing it the whole trip then plan a few things for each day and then go where the wind takes you. You might end up having a great time!
5. KNOW WHERE TO SPLURGE! This is by far the best advice I can offer. If you stay on budget, that will take away some of your stress but knowing where to splurge will make you feel extra special. (a) Skip the pricey breakfasts and lunches and splurge on dinner (b) walk around the city and save expensive taxis for going longer distances (c) buy wine/alcohol for your room – this saves money on purchasing pricey drinks before and after you go out and lastly (d) in less expensive cities, book a nicer hotel as you are saving money on your overall budget.
Traveling can be stressful but it doesn’t have to be. Follow these tips and you’re on your way to enjoying your next vacation even more than the last!
Do you have any tried-and-true tips for getting the most out of your vacation?